Answer: ME! I successfully tackled buttonholes last night with my trusty Singer.
See, look - Closed:
This project involved 6 buttonholes total.
So now I'm an expert! (Sort of). It wasn't as difficult as I thought - first I checked out this
how-to which was helpful.
Then after taking a look at my manual (which took a bit for me to find - my attempt to make do with the Spanish one was not successful), I realized my machine came with a buttonhole foot (mine looks like the one on the left below) - one of those attachment knick knacks that I didn't know the purpose of...UNTIL NOW!
Another scary sewing endeavor defeated! Next up, zippers - yikes!
Oh, and I will show pictures of the finished project soon - it is a top secret gift so I don't want to spoil it yet.