Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Dining Room Delight

I wanted to share with you some pictures of a Christmas gift I made for my mom - I wasn't able to showcase it here in December because that would ruin the surprise. 


I did get some shots of it in action over this past weekend while visiting, so check it out!

I sewed a plain navy tablecloth, a set of placemats, matching napkins, and a table runner.  The tablecloth was pretty simple - I just sewed a double hem on all 4 edges of a big swatch of cotton sateen.  I got the rest of the fabric (upholstery) at Ocean State Job Lot for $2/yard - not too shabby!  (If you are lucky enough to live/visit Rhode Island or Connecticut where these stores are located, DEFINITELY take the time to do so!)

As for patterns, I sort of made it up as I went along, with some help from http://www.sew4home.com/. (a really great resource for all sorts of DIY home decor ideas).  Next time I might use thinner fabric - the upholstery weight was a little tough to work with and made for some thick hems, but overall, a success! 

If you're not up to doing a whole dining room set, start with just a few cloth napkins.  You can probably use scraps you have left over from other projects, and its yet another way to be green! 

No comments:

Post a Comment