Sunday, September 13, 2009

How did you get here? Oh, I biked.

My latest lifelong dream come true! I got a new beautiful bike and I love it so so much. As you can see it is a super hip Raleigh English bicycle from the 1980s and it rides like a dream - I took it out for my first real spin this morning with Brian and it was delightful! I almost hit a bird but escaped in time to avoid disaster.
My mom found it for me and I brought it home last weekend, managing to fit it in the Civic (thanks Brian!). It was an birthday present a few months early but now I can ride it all fall instead of having to wait until the winter is over, like I would have to if I'd gotten it in December.

Also Dorian gave away the surprise within one minute of seeing me, "Emmie you got a bike!" So the jig would have been up on that anyway.

I am still a little scared of driving on busy streets with cars - back in the day when I had a bike gang in Connecticut the traffic wasn't really a huge issue - but I'm learning. Cruising through Prospect Park was a perfect start. I have a helmet, now I just need a little basket and maybe a bell. I will be just like Angela Lansbury in the opening credits of Murder, She Wrote! SO HIP!

My goal this season is to ride over the Brooklyn Bridge to Julie's house -let's hope I can do it before the snow starts! Thanks Brian for taking such fabulous pictures AND for riding with me today! Hopefully the first of many biking adventures!!

2 comments:

  1. Umm, what bike gang? Was the before or after you were premed?

    ReplyDelete
  2. WAAAAAAY before! Back when I was a young hooligan on the streets of Newtown, CT.

    ReplyDelete