Thursday, July 29, 2010

Summer Side Salad Delight

I could eat pasta every day for dinner.  In fact, I usually do. 


Last night I mixed it up a little, kind of, and tried this Weight Watchers recipe - it was pretty good!  (Yes, I know Orzo is technically a pasta, but it looks like rice so I'm considering it Rasta.)  I think its meant for a side dish and would be great at a BBQ if your guests are adventurous/tired of the same old noodle salad. 

Orzo-Chickpea Salad, via WeightWatchers.com

POINTS® Value: 5 (if you're into that sort of thing)
Servings: 6
Prep Time: 15 min
Cooking Time: 15 min

INGREDIENTS
8 oz uncooked orzo (half a 1 lb box)
cooking spray
2 small zucchini, chopped
1/8 tsp table salt, or to taste
1/4 cup(s) parsley, leaves, firmly packed, chopped (I used basil, since I didn't have parsley)
15 oz canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup(s) dried cranberries (I used golden raisins since I had them on hand)
1 tsp olive oil, extra-virgin
1/4 cup(s) red wine vinegar
1/8 tsp black pepper, or to taste

DIRECTIONS
Cook orzo according to package directions; set aside.

Meanwhile, coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat. Sauté zucchini, lightly salting it as it cooks, until slightly crisp, about 2 to 3 minutes; allow to cool.

Place zucchini in a large bowl and add remaining ingredients (including orzo); toss to combine. Allow salad to marinate in refrigerator for at least half an hour before serving. It may be served cold or at room temperature.

(I ate it pretty much right away and it was still good, without marinating.  Am having it for lunch today too - so it should be even better!)

No comments:

Post a Comment