Wednesday, July 7, 2010

I Gave Blood Today!

Have you ever given blood? 

I did today!  I have a few times before, but hadn't in a while because of low iron, but decided to give it a shot again today at a work blood drive.  It was kind of fun!  Yes, they do poke you with a needle, but it only hurts for a second, and you can help save lives! 

1 in 3 people will need blood via transfusion in their lifetime, so chances are that you or someone you love will be the recipient.  Supplies are low, and although 60% of the population is eligible to donate, only around 5% do.  Let's step it up, people!

Check out redcross.org for more information and to find out where you can donate, or sign up in your community today!  On top of the free snacks,  you get the sense of feeling good for helping your fellow man. 

4 comments:

  1. I've always wanted to donate, but I only see signs for blood drives when i'm preoccupied with some other errand. I'm gonna go check that link now. i hear you can get free cookies and ice cream...; )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay that's awesome! Good luck - its really not too bad at all, and I love the free cookies! Different drives have different snacks - in my experience the church organized drives have the best home baked goodies :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm an O neg blood type, so they always want me to give. My doctor said that giving as often as I was able wasn't the best thing for me, so I've gone from every 9 weeks to four times a year. Giving the "Gift of Life" only takes a little time and can truly make a difference for someone in need. Thanks for writing your post on this today.
    Blessings,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  4. Donna - you are welcome, and your continued giving is inspiring!

    ReplyDelete