Monday, October 3, 2011

Pie Overload






How did you spend your Saturday?


Mine was awesome!  I got up at 6am and spent the next 8 hours or so baking pecan pies for The Danner Drive.  It was great!  There was a TON of great food - even a little (a lot) of leftover pie to share with friends, family, and very appreciative coworkers after the fact.  Plus, we raised some cash for a good cause!  

Pecan pie is pretty simple.  For the pie crust, I used Mark Bittman's recipe from How to Cook Everything - I always have success with this and its quite easy (as pie! ha!).  You can also use a pre-made crust if you're in a hurry.  

The recipe for the pie itself is the one my Dad has used for Thanksgiving after Thanksgiving - a classic and fail proof, I think.  Try it this Thanksgiving! Or even sooner!  

Pecan Pie
From James Beard's American Cookery

Ingredients
Pastry for One 9 inch pie
1 cup pecan meats - halved or broken pieces
(pecans are pricey!  You can cut them with some walnuts if  you want to save some cash.)
2 eggs
1 cup dark corn syrup
1/2 cup to 1 cup brown sugar  
(I used 1/2 cup - its pretty sweet, so no need to use the higher amount of sugar)
1 tsp vanilla or 2 tbsp rum (I used Jack Daniels - you can taste the booze but in a good, flavorful way)
1/4 tsp salt
2-4 tbsp butter (I used just 2 tbsp)
(My dad adds in 1 tbsp of molasses to cut the sweetness - I didn't have any so I skipped this.  But if you have a jar in your pantry go for it!)

Directions
Line pie pan with pastry and crimp edges.  Sprinkle nuts over pastry. Beat eggs in mixing bowl, stir in syrup, sugar, flavoring, salt.  Pour over nutmeats and dot with butter.  Bake at 450 degrees 10 minutes, reduce heat to 325 degrees and bake until filling is almost firm in center, 25-30 minutes.  Cool on rack. 

Serve at room temperature with whipped cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment