Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Chowing Through Fort Greene

I spent some time this weekend exploring my new neighborhood, Fort Greene, Brooklyn.  My mom was in town so we took a stroll to Fort Greene park. 

Here is the Prison Ship Martyrs Monument - it was the tallest Doric column in the world when it was built in 1908.  There is also a crypt below where the remains of the soldiers are buried.  You can learn more about it here and here.  Oh man I cannot tell you how cool it is to live so close to a stop on the                           New York Freedom Trail and the Revolutionary War Trail. 
Note to self/mom: Here is another cool NYC walking tour too!  I think its for Scouts but it could be fun for regular people too. 

Speaking of mom - she totally got shortchanged on the breakfast front!  We tried Olea, a cute little Mediteranian place a few blocks from my place.  We got there right when they opened at 10am, and were the first people there.  It filled up totally within just 15 minutes!  A popular joint.  Mom got the goat cheese croquettes - they looked tasty, but were so tiny!  And non listed under the appetizers but should have been.  She got lamb sausage too, but the whole meal looked fit for an elf.  My mom is tiny but not that tiny! 

I went with the granola, yogurt and honey combo which was good and human sized. 


We also shared some nice baguettes and jam.  I liked the food at this place, but was a little annoyed that they didn't tell Mom she was ordering an ap, as opposed to a meal. 

Can't wait to check out more cool new places in my 'hood! 

No comments:

Post a Comment