Monday, January 11, 2010

Feeling Applesaucey

Another post about apples, I know. And I don't even like to eat whole apples, it freaks me out. But I made applesauce last night and it was delicious, and really great warm on a cold night.

Here is my recipe - you can tweak it to your tastes as you like.

Ingredients:

6 apples, peeled, cored, and cut into chunks (I used 4 granny smith and 2 red delicious because that's what I had, but you can use whatever you like to eat)

1 1/2 cups water

Juice and zest of 1 lemon

1/4 cup sugar (depending on your taste/sweetness of your apples you may need more/less)

Directions: Place all ingredients into a large saucepan or dutch oven over medium heat. Cook covered for 20-30 minutes, or until apples get nice and soft. Remove from heat and cool; mash with a potato masher or fork.

Done!

You could put it in the food processor or mill if you want it to be smoother but I like a few chunks in mine. Also, cinnamon would be a logical addition but I ran out.

No comments:

Post a Comment