Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Spaghetti Squash!

Spaghetti Squash is one of those things I've always been curious about - never tried to make it on my own, even after tasting it once and liking it quite a bit.  Also, I eat noodles a lot (like a WHOLE LOT) and thought this might be a good way to lessen my carb intake but still get that warm pasta with sauce feeling. 
A kind young gentleman offered me a  trip to Fairway, in a car no less, so I picked one up - not having to lug the heavy veggie home left me with little excuse not to. 


I have a lot of cookbooks, and several veggie-centric ones - but oddly enough none of them had a recipe or directions on how to cook a spaghetti squash!  Luckily, the Internet came to the rescue - I found this post  with several different cooking options.  I went with the quartering and baking option - 45 minutes later (and some weird smell from my brand new oven) I was starved and ready to eat.  Could have used a few more minutes, perhaps but it was good!  (Also, I ignored the "rind side up" direction until about 30 min in so that might have warped the cooking time a bit.) 

Going at it with a fork to shred it up was fun too.  I topped it with some chopped tomatoes and vodka sauce and it made for a tasty dinner - with plenty left over for later. 


So, this will never replace my first true love - pasta - but it was a fun new thing to try!  I toasted the seeds and chowed down on those too - pumpkin seed style.  Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment