Thursday, March 17, 2011

Welcome Home!

Hi Friends!  I know, its been a while.  My latest news is that I've moved to a new apartment!  I have a cute little place all my own to call home now.  I've been there a couple of weeks, but just made my first real dinner last night - lack of cooking utensils was thwarting my chef skills: ie, I had no knives, and no time to purchase them yet. 

But that has since been rectified thanks to some sweet hand-me-downs from Grandma and Grandpa!  Check out my mushroom stroganoff!  It was pretty good.  The recipe is from Cooking Light: Fresh Food Fast, but I came across it on this blog. (Thanks Teresa!)  Now all I need are some plates, and i'm good to go for a dinner party!

Mushroom Stroganoff

By Fresh Food Fast by Cooking Light

Ingredients
3 1/2 cups uncooked medium egg noodles (I used whole wheat just for kicks)
cooking spray
5 (4 oz) packages fresh gourmet-blend mushrooms (This is what the recipe calls for - I just used a 10 oz package and sliced them up myself - perfectly good!)
1 cup coarsely chopped onion
3 tablespoons all purpose flour
1 1/2 cups reduced fat milk
3 tablespoons dry sherry (I omitted this - would give it more flavor.  Could use wine or stock too)
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup reduced fat sour cream
1 1/2 teaspoon finely chopped chives (optional)

Directions

1. Cook noodles according to directions
2. While noodles cook, heat a large Dutch oven over high heat; generously coat pan with cooking spray. Add mushroom and onion; cook 10 minutes, or until browned, stirring frequently.
3. While mushroom mixture cooks, melt butter in a saucepan.  Incorporate flour with a whisk.  Once combined, gradually add milk with a whisk.  Cook, whisking constantly, 3 minutes or until slightly thickened.  Add salt and pepper, and sherry. (A little hot sauce here would be good, too). 
4. Stir sauce and cooked noodles into mushroom mixture. Stir in sour cream; sprinkle with chives, if desired. Serve immediately.

Serves 4: Serving is 1 3/4 cups
Per Serving: 393 cal, 12.6g fat, 15g prot, 55.2g carb, 3.5g fiber

No comments:

Post a Comment