Sunday, January 29, 2012

S'mores Brownies

The end of January is upon us, but BBQ season is still quite a while away.  What's a girl to do for her S'mores fix in the middle of winter? 


Ta da!  S'mores Brownies!  I came across this recipe in Better Homes and Gardens (I know, I'm the oldest 30 year old girl you know...) and figured I would give it a shot.  Plus, I happened to have an extra bag of marshmallows taking up space in my drawer leftover from the summer.  They came out a little weird - but not too bad!  I might use less graham crackers next time, and up the batter but overall I don't think I will get any complaints from my taste testers tomorrow.  Enjoy!


INSIDE OUT S'MORES BROWNIES
from Better Homes & Gardens, February 2012
author: Angela Johnson

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 2 oz. unsweetened chocolate, chopped
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 3/4 cup all purpose flour
  • 9 honey graham cracker squares (I crumbled mine up, but I don't think you're supposed to...you might need less, too, depending on the pan you use.  If you use too many, your brownies will separate when you cut them.)
  • 1 cup tiny marshmallows (I used regular sized and cut them up)

Directions:

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Line a 11x7x1 1/2 inch baking pan with parchment paper or lightly grease the pan.  Set aside.  (This size pan is insane.  Who has this?  I used a square pan and it worked OK.)
2. In a medium saucepan melt butter and chocolate over low heat.  Remove from heat.  Stir in sugar, eggs and vanilla until combined.  Stir in flour.
3.  Spread half the batter in the prepared pan.  Top with graham crackers (divide as needed to evenly top the batter).  Sprinkle the marshmallows on the graham crackers, but do not let them touch the sides of the pan.  Carefully spread the remaining batter on the marshmallows and graham crackers, covering them completely.  (Mine weren't completely covered but still came out well, once it was all baked.  Next time I might even double the batter though.) 
4.  Bake for 25 minutes or until set.  Cool completely on a wire rack.  Cut into bars.  Makes 15 brownies.

No comments:

Post a Comment