Wednesday, January 11, 2012

A Lime of a Time!

One of my favorite things to make, and that has proven quite popular, is lemon bars.


But I happened to have a plethora of limes on hand, so I swapped out my citrus in my tried and truly tested recipe.  I realized - when I googled the recipe and saw the date on the article (since the little recipe card I typed out after desecrating the original newspaper clipping is at my parent's house) that I've been baking this for 21 years.  Yikes.  (I was granted oven access at an early age.) 

So here it is my friends!  Enjoy.  Also, check out my new rug!  It's from Ikea and I think its cool! 


Lemon Squares


TOTAL TIME1 hour 5 minutes

INGREDIENTS

2 cups flour, plus 1/4 cup

1/2 cup confectioners' sugar, plus 1 tablespoon

1 cup butter, melted

4 eggs

2 cups granulated sugar

1/3 cup lemon juice (This was about 2 limes for me.  Also, don't forget to throw in the zest from whatever citrus you use - do that before juicing, of course)

1/2 teaspoon baking powder

Preparation

1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2.Mix two cups flour, 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar and melted butter. Spread into a 9- by-13-inch pan and bake for 25 minutes.

3.Mix eggs, granulated sugar, lemon juice (and zest), baking powder and remaining flour and pour onto the baked shell. Bake for an additional 25 minutes, or until set. Dust with remaining confectioners' sugar when cool. Cut into equal bars.

YIELD15 squares

Originally published with The Spirit of Christmas Past Lives On in Traditional Cookies


By DENA KLEIMAN, December 19, 1990

http://events.nytimes.com/recipes/1725/1990/12/19/Lemon-Squares/recipe.html



No comments:

Post a Comment