Friday, May 13, 2011

Smooooth

I need to go grocery shopping.  As such, I'm lacking breakfast foods in my kitchen.  I did some digging in the back of my cupboard and found...a can of pumpkin.  Not promising - and yet, I recalled this Real Simple smoothie recipe from a few months ago, and low and behold, I had all the ingredients! 


Ta Da!  One Spiced Pumpkin Smoothie.  I liked it!  And I'm not really a smoothie person - they're usually too thick and heavy for me.  This was light and tasty.  I made a few modifications, but it was good enough to have two days in a row!  Probably more, since I have to finish off the pumpkin. 



I hadn't used my magic bullet blender in a while - man do I love that thing!  It pulverized the ice in no time, and made a perfect one serving smoothie for me with minimal dishes to do.  I might have to try one of these other smoothie recipes!


SPICED PUMPKIN SMOOTHIE
adapted from Real Simple, February 2011 - original recipe is here, with a bunch more here.

Serves 1
Hands-On Time: 5m
Total Time: 5m

Ingredients:
1 cup ice
1/2 cup almond milk (recipe calls for whole milk)
1/3 cup pure pumpkin puree
1 tablespoon honey
pinch of cinnamon (recipe calls for nutmeg)

Directions

1.Place the milk, pumpkin, honey, and spice in a blender. 
2. Blend until combined.
3. Add the ice, and blend until smooth and frothy.

I found that when I added everything at once, the honey got cold and didn't incorporate.  Mixing all the ingredients without the ice first made it more uniform.  I added a splenda to make it a little sweeter too. 

2 comments:

  1. nice! when u started out saying "found a can of pumpkin in the back cupboard", i totally envisioned this story going a completely different direction :) Smoothies aren't really my thing either (for the same reasons u stated), and as enticing a flavor as i find 'pumpkin' to be, i certainly would have never considered it in smoothie form ... so props to u for putting that together :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to have to try this! It sounds really good!!

    Ashley Marie Wilson
    http://laluceimagery.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete