Sunday, March 25, 2012

Gingered Carrot Sweet Potato Soup

Thought I'd share a delicious and easy soup recipe!  It may be spring (or even feeling like summer on some days) but this light soup is nice any time of year. The fresh flavors will lift you up!


I found this recipe in Better Homes and Gardens (I know...) but its very good and so simple!  This would go well with some homemade bread or croutons.  I heated it up the next day for lunch and it was even better - the flavors had a chance to marry nicely.  Try it out!

Gingered Carrot Sweet Potato Soup

1 lb carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
3 14.5 oz cans reduced sodium chicken broth (I used vegetable broth)
1/2 cup soup cream or creme fraiche (optional)
2 tbsp finely minced green onions or snipped fresh chives - optional (I used parsley)
1 19 oz can no-salt added cannellini (white kidney) beans, rinsed and drained
salt and pepper to taste
(And you know I added hot sauce, right?)

1. In a Dutch oven combine carrots, broth, potato, and ginger.  Bring to boiling.  Reduce heat. Simmer, covered, 10-12 minutes, until vegetables are tender.  Meanwhile, in a small bowl combine sour cream and green onions; set aside.

2. In blender (I used a food processor), puree vegetables with beans, one fourth at a time, removing cap from blender lid and holding folded kitchen towel over opening.  Season with salt and pepper.  Top servings with sour cream mixture.  If desired, sprinkle with additional green onions and ginger. 
4 servings. 




No comments:

Post a Comment